Monday, August 15, 2011

Biscuits - Cookies for the "No Grains" Diet

I have suffered for many many years from a systemic Candida infection. It all started as a teenager when a ship's doctor "threw the book" of antibiotics at me and unwittingly killed off all the good bugs in my system as well as all the bad ones.

It took me 26 years of trying to get a diagnosis and being told repeatedly that it was all in my head before a more savvy than usual doctor diagnosed me as having candida rampant in my gut. He also found I was allergic to 35 different foods - a lot of them plain ordinary fare like milk (cows' and goats'), grains, some veggies, and of course the expected food additives, cigarette smoke, petroleum and suchlike.

A course of nystatin (Nilstat) helped, but did not fix the problem and after avoiding a lot of foods for awhile I went back to eating fairly normally, but without sugar, and battled on.

I'm now at the point where I realise I just have to nail this thing before it nails me - about which, more in another post. But because living gluten-free or grain-free can be extremely hard at times, I thought I'd share my crazy biscuit / cookie recipe born out of sheer desperation. Before you turn your nose up at it totally, remember as well as grains I am also unable to eat sugar or other natural sweeteners, and I'll say right now that artificial sweeteners are only fit for the rubbish bin. If you doubt me, go to http://mercola.com/ and search the term.

So here it is - and because of all the other stuff I do it's called

"The Extremely Busy Solo Woman's Biscuit / Cookie Recipe"


Ingredients:
2 cups sunflower seeds, ground (coffee grinder)
2 cups sesame seeds, ground (ditto)
1 tsp sea salt
hot water to mix : 1.5 - 2 cups

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 deg C or 350 deg F.

In a bowl thoroughly mix together the seeds and salt. Add the water a little at a time and mix as you go. You don't want to get the mix wet because you can't just chuck in some flour to fix it. Gradually add and mix enough water to let you fold and knead the stuff, then shape it into a round mass. It shouldn't be too sloppy - surprisingly, if you get it right, it will just about hold together.

Let it sit while you grease a big flat baking tray. I use olive oil - I refuse to use the usual polyunsaturated garbage. Put your mix onto the tray and with damp hands gradually flatten it out. Mine is usually 4-5mm thick.

Place in the preheated oven and cook for 20 mins. Keep an eye on it the first time you cook this recipe - ovens vary and your time might be different. I have a fan-heated oven, so it burns less than some ovens.

Take it out of the oven and before it cools release it from the tray - I have a very long knife I use for this. Once cooled, break it into pieces by hand and store in a tin or lunchbox. It's a lot quicker this way than messing around with cookie cutters - which would not work with this mix. Or you can score it into squares with a sharp knife before you bake it.

Get creative. There are some great things you can add for variation, depending on your own tastes - herbs like oregano, cumin or cinnamon, coconut cream (yum!) or garlic paste. Go wild and experiment with 'sweet' and 'savory' - just keep off the grains and sugars!  The great thing is that sunflower and sesame seeds are exceptionally good for you - and I'll explain that in later posts.

Because this is a bit more messy to handle than a flour mix, I have an old kitchen tool I use for the whole process from mixing the seeds to adding the water. I love using things for purposes other than the intended - it does a great job, too!  Haha!!




Enjoy.

See also : 
Sunflower Seeds Turn You On - (Helianthus annuus)
Sesame Seeds - Food of the Gods 1 - (Sesamum indicum)

Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment