Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Heal Your Food - And Your Home

I apologize for lack of posts recently.  I've been finishing work on a project that's taken me the best part of a year - illustrating a book due for publication here in New Zealand in December.  It was a major job - 36 full color, wall-to-wall, exhibition quality paintings, 15"x20" and as things got down to the wire this last 12 weeks or so, the pressure was quite intense.

If you'd like to see a very small taste of what's involved please visit my Taketakerau Project on  the Behance Professional Network (which I'll update with more pictures once the book is published).  AND - if you like what you see, there's a neat blue button at the bottom that you can click anonymously - just to give me a 'thumbs up' for all my hard work!

Back to the point of this post.  It's no good taking charge of your food if you don't take charge of things in your immediate environment that can harm you.  I got a very interesting email from Dr Mercola this morning that's going to send me out today on a mission I've had in mind for a few months but not yet got down to - searching out a new, non-plastic electric jug for my kitchen.

Toxic Mattresses

The article I'm talking about isn't just about electric jugs - there's a whole lot more to it than that, including your mattress.  It has been estimated that 97% of Americans have significant levels of a toxic chemical group called PBDEs in their blood.  It can alter calcium signalling in your brain which affects learning and memory. It's found in 80% of 12 common household products.

My old mattress suddenly starts to look more appealing!  At least it's not made of polyurethane foam...  Go check out The Mattress That Plays Havoc With Your Hormones. Especially if you have kids, if you're pregnant or if your partner is pregnant or even if you care for an elderly person.

And give a thought to that plastic hot water jug.  Heat and plastic are not good together. How much hot water from that jug do you put into yourself every day?

Take Control - and have a great day!

Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment