Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Plastic Hot-Water Jug Gets Retired

I went out as promised and bought a stainless steel hot water jug this morning.  I've made a number of drinks and heated water for cooking dinner with it.  I usually drink VERY weak coffee, and without a doubt the taste is different - definitely better.  The young guy who served me in the appliance store said he and his girlfriend had bought a jug the same as my new one because they decided they didn't like the plastic taste from plastic jugs. 

I hadn't been aware of a plastic taste, but then our taste buds get used to all sorts of things. The new taste is certainly milder and nicer, though.

Why Not Plastic?

My distrust of plastic when combined with heat and foods goes back to a family experience many years ago.  I was at college, and my parents happened to be working quite close to each other, so they'd meet and have lunch together.  My mother would take along a flask of hot tea and some cups.

A little while after they started doing this, my father developed a very sore mouth.  It went on for a while and though they tried a few things to get rid of it, it wouldn't go away.  Then it dawned on them that the cups they were using at lunchtime were plastic.  My mother threw them out, got some cheap glass cups, and the mouth healed up a treat.

It will be interesting to see if I can identify any changes in myself as I continue using this jug. Plastic is made from petroleum and I've had a problem with petroleum for years -   another of my sensitivity issues due to the systemic candida.  So who knows, I might have something worthwhile to report frm this experiment!

Petroleum And Estrogen

While on this topic, it's also worth pointing out that petroleum and petroleum products are all estrogen-mimicking.  That is, they act in and on our bodies just like the female hormone estrogen - not something desirable for anyone, man, woman or child. These are toxic chemicals running loose in our environment.  If you doubt me on this, then make sure you read
Hormone-Mimics In Plastic Water Bottles Act As Functional Estrogens on "Science Daily".

The authors conclude: “We must have identified just the tip of the iceberg in that plastic packaging may be a major source of xenohormone* contamination of many other edibles. Our findings provide an insight into potential exposure to endocrine-disrupting chemicals due to unexpected sources of contamination.”

That's just one instance, and you can soon google up some more.

Take Control - and have a great day!

Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment